NorthWest Regional Housing Authority

Northwest Regional Housing Authority:


Serving Baxter (4), Boone (2), Carroll (1), Madison (5), Marion (3), Newton (6), and Searcy (7) Counties

Mutual Self-Help Housing:


Serving Baxter (4), Boone (2), Carroll (1), Fulton (8), Izard (9), Madison (5), Marion (3), Newton (6), Searcy (7), and Stone (10) Counties

Visit Mutual Self-Help Housing Program on Facebook!
Follow Mutual Self-Help Housing Program on Facebook!
Moving Family Happy Grandmother Home
Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program - Rental Assistance
Reasonable Accommodation (renting from relatives)

Federal regulations do not allow the Housing Authority to subsidize the rent of any participant if the property owner is the parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister or brother of any member of the participant's household unless as a reasonable accommodation for a family member with disabilities, then only if the unit meets a specific need of the disabled family member as certified by a physician.

To request a reasonable accommodation an applicant must have a written statement from a physician stating that the unit he/she wishes to rent meets a specific need caused by the disability.

It should not state what the disability is only that this accommodation is needed and that it can only be met by living in a unit owned by a relative.

For example:

The relative builds or buys a house that has wheelchair ramps and wide doorways and the unit is located next door to the relative who assists you with activities that the tenant connot perform.

The Housing Authority would in this case, with the physician's statement, be allowed to execute a Housing Choice Voucher contract on the applicant's behalf.


Related Questions - (Expand All Answers)
Are there regulations that explain what need to be done on order to comply with Section 504?
How do you determine whether a request for a certain accommodation is reasonable?
How is disability defined?
Is a federally assisted housing provider obligated to provide an accommodation to a tenant or applicant is s/he has not requested it?
May a landlord charge a person who uses a wheelchair a higher security deposit because of concerns about damage to the dwelling unit?
May a recipient refuse to rent to a person with a mental disability because he is uncomfortable with the individual?
What discriminatory practices does Section 504 prohibit?
What happens if a federally assisted housing provider fails to act on a request for an accommodation?
What is a reasonable accommodation under Section 504?
What is Section 504?
What is the Federal Fair Housing Act and what types of discrimination does it prohibit against person with disabilities?
When and how should an individual request an accommodation?
When can a federally assisted housing provider insist on an alternative to the accommodation requested by a tenant?
Who is protected by the law?

We are an Equal Housing Opportunity Provider. We provide housing without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, physical or mental handicap, familial status, national origin, or other protected class. To file a complaint of discrimination, write HUD Director, Office of Civil Rights, 451 7th Street S.W., Washington, D.C. 20410 or call Customer Service at (202) 708-1112 (voice) or (202) 708-1455 (TTY). HUD is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

In accordance with federal law and United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex or familial status. To file a complaint of discrimination, write HUD Director, Office of Civil Rights, 451 7th Street S.W., Washington, D.C. 20410, or call (202) 708-1112 (voice) or (202) 708-1455 (TTY).